Friday, September 9, 2016

Comments from others about my late Mom, Julia McLean Brossman from friends and families



Comments from others about my late Mom, Julia McLean Brossman from friends and families


"Your mother was beautiful, compassionate and intelligent. She always treated me kindly. (So did your father, who was equally remarkable.) It's clear that you've inherited those wonderful traits. Prayers and blessings."
- Richard D Grassi 
"Julia Brossman was my aunt and we referred to her as "Aunt Ju-Ja" for some reason.  Although we lived some distance apart I have very vivid memories of her beautiful smile, sparkling blue eyes and her inquisitive mind.  I always thought that Aunt Ju Ja knew so much about everything and I think that she did! If you ever brought up a subject you had better know what you were talking about because she was going to quiz you on it thoroughly.  Aunt Ju Ja always referred to herself as a professional student and she was!  Thank you Ju Ja for the impact that you had on the world!"            Love,  Julie - - Cushman Joyce 
MEMORIES OF AUNT JUDY

"Every 4th of July,  my favorite thing to do is watch the PBS television show A Capital Fourth, broadcast live from the Mall in Washington D.C.  Most importantly, I tune in to hear the National Symphony play Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.  As I listen and watch the  combination of the orchestra, fireworks, bells, and military cannons build to a dramatic conclusion, I am reminded once again of the many things that Aunt Judy taught  me to appreciate.  It was in her Washington D.C. apartment some 60 years  ago, while visiting from North Carolina, that she and my Uncle Marty introduced me to this piece, playing it over and over until I could picture myself there in Moscow as the Russians pushed back and conquered Napoleon's  invading army. 
I visited Judy and Marty frequently while growing up ; usually with my family, but sometimes by myself.  On every trip to see them in Washington we could count on a full agenda of visiting the latest exhibits in all the museums and galleries. Her stamina was unbelievable; we would be exhausted long before the day was over, and she was still going strong.  But we kept going because she had lined up so many interesting things to see.  She knew how to spot the celebrities, whether it was sneaking into a Senate committee  meeting to see Teddy Kennedy, or catching a glimpse of Alice Roosevelt Longworth , daughter of Teddy Roosevelt, in her wide brimmed hat, driving by in her chauffeured car. I remember the joy on her face as she showed me the homes in her neighborhood  of many famous and infamous (mostly Nixon's buddies) Washington people. She and Marty loved to take us on  picnics at historic sites nearby, whether it be Manassas Bull Run battlefield on the drive to Washington, or Ft. McHenry with its Star Spangled Banner legacy. Her talent in origami, and her book on the subject,  is one thing that stands out when I think of her own legacy. When I hear the name Watergate mentioned today, I don't necessarily think of a building that was broken into, and the subsequent scandal ; I mostly remember the free concerts on summer nights next to the Potomac River at the Watergate Steps..
We will all miss her  very much."
Bert Cushman 
"The main thing that comes to mind about Judy is that great things can come from small packages! Her small stature did not match her ability to take on any challenge. She was such a strong-willed soul that never seemed discouraged when trying to beat a challenge! Aunt Judy always made me feel that she was happy to see me when we were together. I always felt like I had her undivided attention. I was amazed how she set out to learn everything about Japan, it's culture, and it's people, and then to publish the book on origami! She was always excited about everything- a new easy recipe that she had found, a beautiful scarf from the Metropolitan Museum of Art that would complete a perfect outfit. She was never overdressed, but always smartly dressed. Those beautiful sparkling blue eyes and gorgeous smile welcomed anyone that she met. I remember how mom would tell me about these fabulous "flower" arrangements that she actually crafted out of vegetables to be used for special luncheons. Her one characteristic that stands out more than anything was her appetite for learning! It was like she was on a lifelong mission to learn as much about everything as she could. The way she usually did this was through a conversation with anyone she met. I can picture her sitting up on the edge of her chair, facing me, or anyone else for that matter, talking through questioning as if you were the only one in the room, and I think she was truly interested. Because of this, Aunt Judy had a vast knowledge of so many subjects. I loved watching her in conversation with family. Their was always varied, intense conversations with lots of laughter, and she adored
You, Marty, as much as any mother I have ever known!
Wish we could be with you tomorrow. You will be in our hearts!"
Craig Weaver
"Aunt Judy was such a positive force in our lives and she will be truly missed. She had that spark/sparkle in her eyes at all times depending on the issue! We loved her and will always think of her. Our times together were so much fun. Maybe when you finally retire someday, we can recreate her putz. "
Love always, Sandy, Frank and Derek Jablonski 
"You have been such a devoted and beloved son to your mom over these many years, and I know that her love for you will be a part of you always.  I like to think that she is now back with your Dad and discussing all kinds of amazing things, as well as talking about how wonderful you are and how proud they are of you and all you have accomplished. 
I don’t have any specific stories to share, but I do know that I had many wonderful conversations with your mom out at the Bungalow about so many different topics.  She had a rare breadth and depth of knowledge about the world and its many wonders.  I was also always touched by the interest she took in what was happening i my life.  She truly listened cared, and i felt that, and loved that about her. 
Please give Barbara my love as well.  Many hugs to you, dear cousin, during this very hard time."
Much love, Nancy 
"I really loved her enthusiasm and energy. She was so good at inviting us kids into a conversation and making us feel included--very valuable for building self-esteem and confidence. I've tried to emulate that characteristic in my life. She was a wonderful aunt and I will miss her."
Fred Mclean
My Mom had an article written about her in the Reading Eagle SATURDAY, SEP. 10:
Experpts:  Not Forgotten: Julia McLean Brossman was fierce fighter for civil rights
"The books that Julia "Judy" McLean Brossman co-wrote were not beach reads.
You probably never read this one: "State Child-labor Standards; A State-by-state Summary of Laws Affecting the Employment of Minors Under 18 Years of Age." Or this one: "Hazardous Employment Prohibited for Minors Under State Child-labor Laws."
But they were important analyses for government officials and others involved in protecting children. Published in the 1950s by the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Standards, they reflected Brossman's love of human rights."
and
"Her interest in politics and advocacy for civil rights were nurtured at the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina in Greensboro, now called North Carolina at Greensboro, where she participated in student government and the International Relations Club.
During her college years, she participated in the North Carolina Student Legislature, a model state General Assembly comprised of delegates from the state's colleges. Delegates formed a Senate and House of Representatives and approved bills that they recommended to state government.
In 1945, the Student Legislature voted to invite delegates from black colleges, and promptly lost its faculty adviser, who resigned. But 27 black delegates did join the legislature, and the group, along with Southern born-and-raised Julia, unanimously approved a resolution that said there was "convincing evidence that the races can effectively cooperate," Martin Brossman said.
"She did things that no one, really, in her family had done," Martin said. "I'm not sure that she didn't come into the world with a piece of that in her."
Big thanks to Reading Eagle and Jim Lewis


See her Obituary:
http://inmemoryofamentor.blogspot.com/2016/09/julia-mclean-brossman-obituary-of-my.html

About her history:
http://mymcleanhistory.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-mother-julia-mclean-brossman.html

Facebook page in honor of her:
https://www.facebook.com/juliamcleanbrossman/





No comments: